Who Can Get a Card?
A Free Library card is available at no cost to anyone who lives, works, pays taxes, or goes to school in the City of Philadelphia. In addition, anyone who lives in the state of Pennsylvania can obtain a Free Library card without charge.
Out-of-state residents can obtain a card by paying an annual fee of $50.00. Out-of-state residents must Apply Online and pay online with a credit card.
How to Get a Card?
For your convenience, there are three different ways to apply for a library card. You may choose to do so online, in person or mailing in your application.
- Online – Sign up and receive a temporary library card instantly! Your library card will be valid for 60 days until you verify your account. You must be 18 or older to apply online.
- In Person – Visit any free library location and apply in person.
- Paper Application – Download the paper application and return it to any neighborhood library.
What Can I Do with My Card?
Your Free Library card gives you access to:
- Borrow items from our libraries.
- An online account where you can search for items in our catalog, place holds to be picked up at the library of your choice, rate and comment on titles you’ve checked out, or create and share lists of books, movies and music.
- Electronic Resource (databases of articles and citations).
- Downloadable eBooks, Audiobooks, and Magazines.
- Streaming Videos and Music.
- Digital Learning Resources.
- Our public computers and Wi-Fi at our neighborhood libraries.